Thursday 26 November 2009

Having trouble booting Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 iso?

because I was....

I burned it to CD, I burned it to DVD, I tried to use usb-creator in Windows 7 x86, I tried to use usb-creator in Windows XP mode under Windows 7

NOTHING WORKED

Then I downloaded LinuxLive USB Creator 2.1 but its usage is slightly weird so here's a suggestion:

  • Don't worry about the stuff that comes up in French - looks like they used a French zip extraction tool which means us Anglophones have to get a taste of their own medicine. Just click OK like the rest of the world does before they're asked which language they speak :-)
  • I used a 1GB Kingston Data Traveller that I had knocking about. They're dirt cheap and rugged too. I didn't have anything important on the disk so I chose open "Format FAT32" and un-ticked the other two options
  • You have to set a "Persistance" so I selected 100MB. I think this only applies if you select the third option, which I didn't, but you still have to select something non-zero
Click the lightning flash and wey-hey! It checks your ISO image (nice touch) then burns it to flash.

Unplugged the flash drive and plugged it into my Asus EEE 900. Checked the BIOS settings Boot Priority:
  1. Removable Drive
  2. Phison SSD
Reboot and I'm away! I can only guess somebody at Canonical goofed when they build the .iso

No comments:

Post a Comment